Do you have questions about how to find a job or internship on Handshake? Don’t worry, you’re not alone. That’s why we’ve compiled answers to the most common questions from college students.
Why should I make a Handshake account if I already use other job sites?
Handshake is the only place that connects you, your school, and employers together. All of the jobs on Handshake are meant for students—in fact, Handshake has the most opportunities for students and new college grads of any job platform. It’s also the only place where employers are recruiting specifically at your school.
Why do I need to fill out my Handshake profile?
Your profile is the key to finding a job or internship on Handshake. When you fill out your profile:
- Handshake gives you personalized job recommendations based on the information you provide on your profile—so you can find jobs and internships that are right for you.
- You increase your chances of having a recruiter message you directly with job opportunities and event invitations. In fact, 80% of students who fill out their profile receive a message from a recruiter.
Which parts of my Handshake profile are most important to include?
In addition to your major, Handshake also uses your job interests to recommend opportunities to you. Your job interests include:
- Job type: select part-time job, full-time job, or internship.
- Job location: choose the cities that you’d like to live and work in.
- Job roles: select at least three positions that interest you.
TIP: You can change and update your interests at any time.
What are the top things employers search for?
After job interests, these are the most popular fields that employers use to find students they’d like to message:
- Work experience: Have you had a part-time job, internship, work study, research position or volunteered? Employers like to see that you’ve taken on responsibility, and that these experiences have helped you develop valuable skills.
- Skills: Add technical skills like SQL and soft skills like communication. The more skills you list, the better your chances are of showing up in an employer search.
- Clubs and organizations: These highlight your unique interests and involvement on campus.
Why should I make my profile public?
Employers are able to find and view your profile only when you make it visible to them. So help employers find you! Make it public so you’ll show up when they’re searching for students to recruit for jobs and internships. You can also make your profile visible to other students, so you can connect with them for advice, or help them.
Don’t worry—your profile will not be public to employers that have not been approved by your school, or to anyone without a Handshake account.
Can I use Handshake on my phone?
Yes! Download the Handshake App from the App Store or Google Play, to search and apply to jobs right from your phone. You’ll also be notified when you receive a message from an employer, be first to see new job postings, and can apply to jobs in two clicks with Quick Apply.
What is the best way to use keyword search and filters?
Keyword search and filters are a great way to narrow down and customize the jobs you see on Handshake. You can filter through jobs by criteria such as job type, location, work authorization, and industry. Keyword search helps you find jobs whose description includes a word that you’re looking for. For example, if you search for the keyword “accounting,” you will see jobs where the word accounting appears within the posting.
TIP: Save your searches to quickly access a set of filters you’ve used in the past.
Why should I contact other students on Handshake?
When you view a job or employer page, you can see other students who have worked there and reach out to them with your questions. You can get an inside look at company culture, interview tips, and more through company reviews. You can also find answers to common career questions (or ask your own!) in Q&A.