When deciding what the best jobs are, it's important to understand that a fulfilling job looks different for everybody. The best job for a college student with a full course load is understandably going to be quite different from an industry professional who is a decade into their career. What makes a job great is how well it fits into your needs and desires now.
And while your ideal job can be the opposite of your neighbor’s ideal job, most times we all share the same basic desires: reasonable pay, fulfilling work, opportunity to grow, and good work-life balance.
What are the best paying jobs?
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, some of the highest paying jobs are:
- Airline Pilots
- Marketing Managers
What are the most fun jobs?
While the definition of "fun" really depends on your passions and hobbies, some favorite jobs listed by the BLS are:
- Video Game Designer
- Food Stylist
- Voice Actor
Which jobs have the best future outlook?
- Solar Photovoltaic Installers
- Physical Therapists
- Information Security Analysts
- Software Developers
How to find the best job for me?
Career paths are rarely linear and have their ups and downs. After taking time to research possible careers, it could be beneficial to try out some internships in different fields to get a feel of varying industries. Once you’ve explored those, you can venture into entry-level positions in those fields to gain more hands on experience.
While you’re figuring out what work interests you, consider a few other tips for finding the best job for you:
- Connect with people in your own network about their jobs–what they like about them or any advice for breaking into that field.
- Take a part-time or flexible job if you’re still in school. Jobs like those can help to build soft skills and give you a good foundation for your resume.
- Make an appointment with your career counselor to talk through your career options.
- If you have free time, volunteer with organizations with missions that you’re interested in to grow your knowledge and skills.
Where to find the best jobs?
When searching for the best job for you, entry-level or otherwise, it’s always best to use the Handshake job filter and keyword search. As the #1 way college students find jobs, Handshake can open new career paths with a simple search. Start by searching the available jobs and entering the job title, city you want to work in, and specific terms like “engineer” or “remote job” depending on what applies to you.
How to get a top job
Questions you might be asked in your interview:
- Why are you looking for a new job?
- Why are you the best person for this job?
- Talk about a time you struggled at work and how you overcame that struggle.
- What are your values?
- Why do you want this job?
What should I put on my resume?
Many places hiring employees are looking for similar keywords in resumes, but what makes the right candidate is listing the skills that make you stand out.
List your past experiences
Even if you’ve never had a job in this field before, you definitely have skills from past experiences you can offer. From mentorships, internships, to school projects that you did–there are always skills you can pull from your life that apply. Applying to online jobs for college students isn’t too different from applying for a regular in-office job.
- Quick learner
- Natural leader
- Detail oriented
If this won’t be your first job, then you may have some technical skills from previous jobs to add to your resume. It’s always a good idea to mention that you have strong industry specific skills, know how to manage projects, or have had experience leading and also being a teamplayer.
What should I write in a cover letter?
Besides your stellar resume, your cover letter is another chance to really sell yourself as a future employee or freelancer.
Four things you should include in your cover letter:
- Previous experiences and how they apply to the role you are applying for
- Why you’re interested in working with them
- Specific projects they’ve worked on that you admire
- If contracting or freelancing, why you personally are capable of help them
Check out this article with proper formatting techniques and more in depth information about the perfect cover letter.