Searching for a fulfilling virtual job? Working from home can offer a lot of great benefits! As many people have now experienced a work-from-home situation, the once-unconventional idea has turned into a satisfying long-term option. If being in the office isn’t an option, working online jobs is a great alternative!
What is an online job?
An online job, also known as a virtual job, is any job that you can work on anywhere from your computer!
What kind of work can I do online?
If you’re wondering what kind of remote jobs there are, you might be surprised by the variety of work that you can do virtually. There are online teaching jobs, online sales jobs, and even online newspaper jobs for college students. Many companies and positions are hiring for positions to be remote, so make sure to check on Handshake with your job title filters on and include keywords like “remote” or “work-from-home” in the search bar.
What are the best online jobs?
15 best virtual/online jobs:
- Content Writer
- Customer Service Representative
- Web Developer
- Medical Transcriptionist
- Data Entry Assistant
- Virtual Executive Assistant
- Computer Programmer
- Social Media Assistant
- Graphic Designer
- Virtual Travel Agent
- Video Editor
- Academic Coach
How much do online jobs pay?
5 examples of online job salaries, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics:
- Virtual Administrative Assistant: $39,850
- Medical Transcriptionist: $33,380
- Freelance Writer: $63,200
- Data Entry Assistants: $34,820
- Customer Service Representative: $34,710
Like all jobs, the salary that you will receive depends on where you live and what kind of job you hold.
How to find an online job?
Four ways to find a virtual job:
- Assess what you’re good at and consider doing consulting or freelance work that allows you to work from home and plan your own schedule.
- Search Handshake and your school’s local job boards for virtual positions opening up soon and apply!
- Get in touch with your network (professional and personal) and inquire about any virtual job openings at their companies.
- If you currently have a job that you would like to be remote, have an honest conversation with your manager about transitioning to a more virtual friendly position.
What skills do I need for an online job?
Online jobs will all want to see previous experience on your resume that applies to the role that you’re trying to get. Most want to know that you are conscious about how to translate your skills and characteristics to their position and that you're passionate about their mission.
What should I put on my online job resume?
Many places hiring online employees are looking for similar keywords in resumes, but what makes the right candidate is listing the skills that make you stand out.
List your past experiences
Even if you’ve never had an online job in your field before, you definitely have skills from past experiences you can offer. From mentorships, internships, to school projects that you did–there are always skills you can pull from your life that apply. Applying to online jobs for college students isn’t too different from applying for a regular in-office job.
Six "soft skills" that might make you a better candidate on your resume:
- Quick learner
- Natural leader
- Detail oriented
If this won’t be your first job, then you may have some technical skills from previous jobs to add to your resume. It’s always a good idea to mention that you have strong industry specific skills, know how to manage projects, or have had experience leading and also being a teamplayer.
What should I write in my cover letter?
Besides your stellar resume, your cover letter is another chance to really sell yourself as a future virtual employee or freelancer.
Four things you should include in your cover letter:
- Previous experiences and how they apply to the role you are applying for
- Why you’re interested in working with them
- Specific projects they’ve worked on that you admire
- If contracting or freelancing, why you personally are capable of help them
Check out this article with proper formatting techniques and more in depth information about the perfect cover letter.