If you've majored in psychology, you may be wondering what your options are for an entry level job. The good news is, psychology students are well suited for a variety of career paths. Here are descriptions of common entry level jobs for psychology students and tips for finding these types of jobs on Handshake.
Case managers for social or human services organizations help others improve their well-being through support, advice and counseling.
What does a case manager do?
A case manager’s responsibilities may include:
- Assessing clients’ needs
- Connecting clients with services including health, employment, and legal
- Scheduling and accompanying clients to appointments
- Managing case reports and files
- Meeting regularly with clients to monitor their progress
- Providing guidance and counsel to clients
Human resources assistant
Human resources (HR) assistants help with hiring, as well as looking after the health, well-being, and satisfaction of an organization’s employees.
What does an HR assistant do?
An HR assistant’s responsibilities may include:
- Recruiting, screening, and interviewing job candidates
- Onboarding new employees
- Overseeing employee benefits
- Managing employee records
- Addressing employee complaints and violations
- Working with managers on feedback and reviews
Marketing researchers or analysts conduct research, analyze data and report on an organization’s audience/consumers, competitors, industry, and marketing efforts.
What does a marketing researcher or analyst do?
A marketing researcher or analyst’s responsibilities may include:
- Collecting and analyzing data about consumers, competitors, industry, and more
- Creating reports to present data findings
- Developing research proposals
- Conducting research
- Measuring and reporting on marketing campaign performance
Career counselors help people at all stages of the career search process learn about different career options and which path may be right for them.
What does a career counselor do?
A career counselor’s responsibilities may include:
- Determining clients’ strengths and skills
- Identifying schools or programs for different career paths
- Advising students on financial aid options
- Helping clients with interviews, resumes, and cover letters
- Connecting clients with job search resources
Research assistants support a variety of tasks related to research studies under the supervision of senior research staff.
What does a research assistant do?
A research assistant’s responsibilities may include:
- Conducting experiments and research
- Collecting, logging, and analyzing data
- Reporting on data and results
- Editing and producing research documents
- Maintaining lab equipment and supplies
Advertising associates support a marketing or advertising team in planning, executing, and tracking the performance of ad campaigns and programs.
What does an advertising associate do?
An advertising associate’s responsibilities may include:
- Helping managers plan and implement ad campaigns
- Writing content for a variety of mediums
- Analyzing data to track ad performance
- Supporting the advertising team on projects
- Creating ad materials
Assistant school counselor
School counselors provide support and guidance for students at all education levels. You’ll likely need to pursue an advanced degree and meet certification guidelines depending on your state to move up and become a counselor.
What does an assistant school counselor do?
An assistant school counselor’s responsibilities may include:
- Maintaining student files
- Helping students add or transfer classes
- Scheduling counselor meetings for students, families, and teachers
- Assisting counselors during student meetings
- Writing meeting notes and reports
A probation officer supervises and counsels those who have been convicted of a crime and released on probation without serving time. To become a parole officer, supervising those released from incarceration, there are often additional requirements including an advanced degree, attending a parole officer academy, background checks, and other exams.
What does a probation officer do?
An probation officer’s responsibilities may include:
- Conducting investigations and interviews
- Supervising offenders to ensure compliance with probation terms
- Counseling offenders and connecting them social services
- Preparing reports, with recommendations, for the court
- Appearing in court to present reports, make recommendations and answer questions
What are the best entry level psychology jobs?
That depends on your interests and skills. The best entry level psychology job for you is one that allows you to use your strengths to reach your career goals.
If you love working with data and answering hypotheses, you may like being a research assistant or marketing analyst. However, if you prefer working directly with and helping others, you may enjoy being a career counselor or case manager.
How to find entry level psychology jobs on Handshake
Follow these steps to find the right entry level psychology job for you on Handshake:
- Add the types of roles that you want to pursue to the job preferences section of your profile.
- Get the latest job and employer event alerts by downloading the Handshake app from the App Store or Google Play.
- Save jobs you want to apply for. That way you’ll receive important notifications, and your recommendations will surface similar entry level psychology roles.
- You can also save your job searches. You’ll be notified when employers post new entry level psychology jobs that match your criteria.
- Follow employers you like, so you’re the first to know when they post new entry level psychology jobs or virtual recruiting events.
Log into Handshake now to start looking for entry level psychology jobs.